The significant role of school publication is youth development cannot be over-emphasized.
Republic Act No. 7079 otherwise known as the Campus Journalism Act of 1991 provides for the training on campus journalism and the organization and development of school publications.
In this connection it has been declared by the State policy to uphold and protect the freedom of the press even at the campus level and to promote the development and growth of campus journalism as a means of strengthening ethical values, encouraging critical and creative thinking and developing moral character and personal discipline of the Filipino youth.
The agency involved in the campus journalism program of the Eastern Visayas State University tasked of supporting and promoting the policies and objectives under R.A. 7079 otherwise known as the Campus Journalism Act of 1991 shall be known as the Eastern Visayas State University-Student Publications Office (EVSU-SPO).
The Student Publications Office serves as the student’s medium in expressing their free and unhampered idea, sentiments and opinions on matters which affect their academic life.
Promotion of student’s rights to free and independent press and full freedom of expression.
Student Publication shall be utilized to train interested students in :
- The application of the communication arts in journalism;
- The basic mechanism and technical skills in journalism;
- The responsibilities and privileges in journalism in relation with the contents of articles to be published;
- The us of student publication in support of the educational development of the students;
- The application of the art and science of journalism in technological advancement;
- Developing intelligent and responsible student leadership and good citizenship in a free and democratic society;
- Serving as a channel for unifying all members of the school and the community towards desirable educational and cultural development objective
- Serving as a pool of learning experiences of the student journalists,;
- Advocating social consciousness and upholding the interests of the Filipino people,
- Advocating student’s rights and responsibilities as well as promoting their general welfare.